Welcome to my blog. With this blog, I hope to:
- Advocate ideas that are undersold and underrated
- Refine my thinking through writing
- Prove to the dude at tedsanders.net that I'm more of a Ted Sanders than he will ever be
Blogging is new to me, and I'm not sure where I'm headed. However, I do have some ideas about the direction I intend to set out. In particular, I plan to share my thoughts on a few topics that I've been thinking about deeply: robots, money, and energy/climate.
Those of you stalking my Facebook timeline know that a recent interest of mine is the rise of machines replacing labor. The economic tradeoff between capital and labor is nothing new, but as machines become increasingly capable of decision-making, the traditional balance between dumb tools and smart humans may collapse, forcing society to confront the ugly reality of what to do with people who are more expensive and less productive than robots. Arguments over this scenario have become popular in the economics blogosphere, and I plan to add my two cents.
A second subject that I might stray into is personal finance, a part of our lives that most of us plan to do better at... eventually. With the advent of the internet and its ocean of freely accessible information, there is no longer any excuse to not invest in the best stocks or donate to the best charities. I'll tell you how. Not only will I summarize the expert consensuses on both investing and charity, I'll give you step-by-step instructions for getting started.
A third topic where I plan to share some expertise is energy and climate. How we choose to power the planet for the next century is a hugely important question whose answer will have large lasting consequences. As someone who has worked at a utility and attended years of energy seminars with free food, I will examine some subtleties of the issue that most journalists miss.
With that said, please enjoy this preview of posts to come:
- Against Malaria Foundation: The one charity that everyone should be giving to
- Index funds: The hassle-free, scientifically supported way to invest your savings
- Roth IRAs: The 100% legal way for young people to save thousands on taxes
- Bet the Bill: How to fairly split a restaurant bill without wasting anyone's time
- Sports Score Simulator: How to compute the optimal game length for underdogs
- The web's best interactive applet for visualizing dispersion relations
- Why (most) everything you've heard about quantum mechanics is wrong
- Fracking: What is it and should we be worried?
- Entropy and temperature and free energy: A jargon-free explanation
- The future of economic growth and the physical limits of technology
- The physical limits of technology 1: Energy production
- The physical limits of technology 2: Energy transmission
- The physical limits of technology 3: Transportation
- The physical limits of technology 4: Computation
- The Great Stagnation: A review
- Why America's future is bright: Energy, Robots, and Brains
- Causal inference: The best statistical method you've never heard of
- Clean energy: Past, present, and future
- Peak oil: Why journalists should be forbidden from using the word "reserves"
- Global warming: A summary of the evidence and what it says about our future
- The world's most important inventions
- The single fact responsible for all quantum weirdness
- Money(foot)ball: What math is bringing to modern football strategy
- Two ways to create a trillion dollars of wealth in one day
- Why do you do what you do? The science of human motivation
- Eating beef: the Eighth Deadly Sin?
- Prediction Markets: their promise, peril, and practicality
- The Null Hypothesis: the history of a dangerous idea
- Why most published research findings are wrong
- Air pollution: Why CO2 is more harmless than you think
- The utilitarian argument against vegetarianism
- Excerpts from Ted's Thesis on PLD-deposited complex oxide thin films
- Everything is correlated, you fools!
- Ted's book recommendations
- What my favorite philosopher can teach those who debate gun control
- If Ted were a venture capitalist, which startups would he invest in?
- Why the media is ignoring Nate Silver by praising Nate Silver
- ...and more!
Stay tuned. :)